A change of seasons or a viral epidemic in the air can get you feeling under the weather. Fortunately, the Indian household kitchens are brimming with ingredients that have potent healing properties without the dreary side-effects. Kaadha is the Ayurvedic elixir filled with herbs and spices that fight cold, flu and infections. A mixture of all these desi spices yields an all-natural, healthy drink which can keep the sickness and the need for a doctor away. Our secret ingredient in this recipe of ayurvedic goodness is pure A2 Cow Ghee from Amrutam.
2 whole cloves (laung)
1 black peppercorn (kaali mirch)
1 tsp saunth
5-6 holy basil (tulsi) leaves (or 1 tsp. of dried)
2 green cardamom pods (elaichi)
¼ tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
3-4 cups of water
1 tsp jaggery powder (gud)
½ tsp Amrutam ghee
2-3 strands saffron (kesar)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 small cinnamon stick (dalchini)
1 bay leaf (tej patta)
1. Take a pot and dry roast cloves, pepper, cardamom, fennel seeds, cinnamon and bay leaf for 2 minutes.
2. Pour water, add saunth and boil the spices. You can add the optional spices at this stage.
3. Add holy basil and simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes till the water is almost half the original quantity.
4. Take the pot off the stove, strain and pour in a cup.
5. Add honey and Amrutam ghee. Serve hot.
For specific concerns, optional spices like Ajwain, and carom can be added.
The Ayurvedic Kaadha is one of the most ancient, tried-and-tested drinks to get rid of cold and cough. The medicinal benefits of all it’s ingredients, especially pure A2 Cow Ghee helps keep you healthy and miles away from diseases. Amrutam A2 Cow Ghee is the optimum choice to cure your Vata, Pitta and Kapha Doshas. You can purchase the purest ghee accompaniment to every dish here.